Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Let's Just Talk!


I had a two hour conversation with my son. I didn't interrogate or judge him about anything. We just talked about whatever came to mind. One conversation flowed into the next beginning with what his thoughts were about school and teachers to both of our childhood experiences. I told him things that happened while I was growing up in a household with 5 siblings. He laughed at all my "horror stories"of being tormented by my brothers, school experiences and more.

We also related our experiences with my parents (his grandparents), the best meals they prepared for the family, their words of encouragement and warnings. We also talked about great and challenging moments we experienced as a family. We invested precious moments with each other to do nothing more than relate, and time flew by so fast it was past his bedtime, for he had to get up early for school the next day. The great thing about it was he respected my time of sharing as I did his and never showed a sign of boredom.

I think we as parents should take more time to just listen, talk and share wisdom with our children without being judgemental of them. They will be more willing to confide in us about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment